Sale ends todayGet 30% off any course (excluding packages)

Ends in --- --- ---

EV Technician Standards - AS5732

EV Fundamentals

Relevant Module: EV Inverters > Inverter Control System

Forum Posts

Courses

Blog

Tech Articles

Discussion and questions related to the course EV Fundamentals

= Resolved threads

Author

Hi just wondering has anyone dug into the repair of EV systems in Australia in regards to standards of who can work on them. There is such a battle between auto electricians and HV electricians on who is certified to touch the machines.

That's not something we have looked into, but there have been recent adverts from some OEMs looking for people like Sasha to put together training for their technicians, if that is anything to go by.

I would call around a few of the bigger Australian dealerships and ask along with some independent EV repair businesses as well. Even from a wreckers standpoint this is an interesting conversation for sure. I can't remember off the top of my head which, but I have listened to the Pick-A-Part CEO discuss that on a few podcasts if you're interested enough to search for that too.

So AS5732-2022 (the updated version of 2015) is just safety guidelines - not any kind of qualification or training.

The government has not put in place any legislation in regards to any kind of requirement for training to work on electric vehicles. There is nothing stopping anyone at all from working on or attempting to repair an electric vehicle. Automotive vehicle repair is not a licenced trade, so there are technically no required tickets or qualifications required to actually do it (this is why the pay is so poor for it).

There is a trade certificate available for electronic vehicle repair - AUR32721 - Cert 3 in Automotive electric vehicle technology. This contains modules such as depowering, inspecting and repairing vehicle battery packs etc.

Out of the two listed above, I would say neither are entirely suitably qualified. The most qualified are the ones who have completed the above course, the dealership techs who have completed the relevant training from their brand on the hybrid/EV powertrains they service and repair at their dealership.

We usually reply within 12hrs (often sooner)

Need Help?

Need help choosing a course?

Experiencing website difficulties?

Or need to contact us for any other reason?