Sale ends todayGet 30% off any course (excluding packages)

Ends in --- --- ---

Haltech Elite 1500 - Rotary 13B Turbo engine, How should be start the value for Stage 1,2 Injection Firing Angle

General Tuning Discussion

Forum Posts

Courses

Blog

Tech Articles

Discuss all things tuning in this section. News, products, problems and results. 

= Resolved threads

Author

I've run Elite 1500 on Rotary 13B Turbo engine with Pro-Jay 4 Barrel Throttle Body, 8 x 2000cc. injectors, 99.5% Ethanol, Drag Application.

Need advise for how to set the appropriate value for Injection Firing Angle.

Please help.

With that style of 4 barrel throttle body the injection timing will almost be irrelevant. To take advantage of injection timing you really need the injectors located so that they are spraying into a single intake runner for one cylinder/rotor. With the 4 barrel style of injection there is no real separation and hence the fuel from any injector will end up in whatever cylinder/rotor is currently on the intake stroke.

The other aspect that is important to consider is that the usefulness of injection timing is dependent on your injector duty cycle. What I mean by this is that if your injector duty cycle is getting up to perhaps 75-85% then moving the injection timing around has almost no effect since the injectors are open most of the engine cycle anyway.

Hi Andre,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Actually this intake type I've used had separated 2 injectors (in parallel) for each pri/sec port and rotors (semi peripheral port).

The main problem I've found is the Transient Throttle.

When I hold throttle in steady state and then press Throttle to the floor rapidly the mixture going very lean and then go back to very rich and flood.

I've tried to set Transient Mode to Throttle position/Manifold Pressure the result also the same.

I've found in MOTEC M1, has Fuel Timing Makeup function to help transient response then I wonder about my Injection Firing Angle was wrong and have no idea to deal with.

:-)

Attached Files

More Pictures

Attached Files

There are two schools of thought on injection timing (both unfortunately are related to piston engines). One is that we want to inject against a closed valve which allows the fuel to the vapourise due to the hot valve/port wall and provide a homogenous fuel/air charge. the other school of thought is that you want to time the injection on the valve opening to ensure the fuel makes it straight into the cylinder without puddling out against the valve/port wall. These are obviously at complete odds with each other though so what do you do?

in my own experience the correct injection timing depends a lot on the injector being used and how well it atomises the fuel. that being said I also seldom see dramatic differences when changing the injection timing. Often from an OE perspective the injection timing will be based around minimising emissions.

My technique is to simply adjust the injection timing on the dyno in 40-50 degree increments and see how it effects both torque and lambda. Often when you move in the right direction you will see the mixture move richer as more of the fuel is being introduced in a combustible form. I'd simply suggest trying the same. My gut feel is that your problem is more likely to be in either your staging setup or the transient enrichment setup though.

We usually reply within 12hrs (often sooner)

Need Help?

Need help choosing a course?

Experiencing website difficulties?

Or need to contact us for any other reason?